History of the Temple
The history of the temple dates back to the times of the Calicut Zamorin. The period from AD 700 to 1500 saw the grandeur and glory of the Zamorin’s ruling period. It is during the start of the period the Zamorin’s family shifted their royal residence from Kondotty to Kozhikode / Calicut. And thereby Calicut became the Economic Capital and political Hub of the dynasty. Soon after this the Zamorin was busy in expansion of his territory and many political invasions were declared. Valluvand and nearby territories came under his rule.
The Zamorin felt that Karimpuzha was a prominent location if it came under his empire. He invaded the area and declared his brother Earalppad as the ruler of the province. The zamorin continued his military invasions, maintaining Karimpuzha as the focal point. The Earalppad assisted his brother in these endeavors .Most of the areas coming under Palakkad belt was invaded on time to time basis and thereby their ruling territory expanded. In all these efforts Karimpuzha provided them a fertile soil. And so Karimpuzha, a small village occupied prime importance in the political map of Zamorin’s kingdom.
During the period of AD 1000, the Zamorin now shifted his attention to revive and develop Karimpuzha. Earalppad constructed a royal palatial palace, Ettukettu, flanked by 8 built up sides, on the banks of the river. He then started the reconstruction of the temple. The temple is presumed to have been there long long back even before the times of Zamorin’s invasion.
During the time of the renovation of the temple, the shift in the placement of the deity’s face is now observed as a holy festival. This is celebrated on the day of the 3rd Thursday between the mid Nov – mid December every year. Near the Earalppad’s palace the family deity Sree Bhagavathy is sacredly placed and is now known as Bhagavathy Kottil. The army chieftain’s home Cherulli Achan Madam is also seen near the Earalppad’s palace, on to the South of the temple.
Special Offering / Rituals
The Murajapam (Loud chanting of sacred hymns) was practiced in the temple since long. The history goes that during the ruling period of the Travancore king Marthanda Varma, in repentance of the crimes meted out during war, the Villwamangalam Swamiyar suggested that chanting of sacred hymns was the best form of solace. For this purpose Brahmins from Karimpuzha often visited Travancore. This is the only temple were even now Kunda Homa or fire ritual is being practiced. The Ganapathy homam done in the night is called Kunda Homam. There is a fable that Sri Rama had done his "Pithru tharpan", on this soil before his holy ascent. And so this holy place is considered very divine for offering to our ancestors, which is done in the month of December.
The sacred duties of the temple are vested in the hands of the Calicut Chennas family. Their family members decorated important posts during the royal meetings of the Zamorin´s family. The manual contains the procedures of sacred offerings to 6 gods known as Thantra Samuchayam, and the Sreshta Samuchayam, which was written by Brahmasree Chennas Shankaran Nampoothirippad, who was a famous member of the above family. The present temple priest is Brahmasree Chennas Krishnan Nampoodhiripad.
The sacred chanting of the Vedas , the offerings by the Thantris , the timely pujas , the celebration of the annual temple festival with the hoisting of the temple flag , all combine together to make and maintain the magnificent status and grandeur of the temple . The pujas or offerings are all in accordance with the movement of the sun and this too adds to the temple’s magnificence.